Catrine has played a very large part in Jim’s life. He was born here, at 45 Shawlands Street (sadly now demolished) on May 24th, 1947. Although Jim has occasionally spent time away from the village, two thirds of his life has been spent here in Catrine so he has a great affection for the village.
After spending over a quarter of a century in the milk processing industry he left it in 1995. After a 6 year spell (2001 – 2007) at the National Autistic Society’s School at Daldorch he was employed by East Ayrshire Council as a caretaker at the Glaisnock Shopping Centre in Cumnock, where he still works.
Jim’s list of voluntary activities seems overwhelming; he calls it “spinning plates”. Outside the village, he is involved with organisations such as the Ayrshire Architectural Heritage Trust, the Howff Burns Club, Kilmarnock Chess Club and East Ayrshire Coalfield Communities Federation. Within the village he attempts to “spin the plates” of Avonlea Youth Centre (chair), History Group (secretary), Community Council (councillor) and Catrine Community Trust (director). He is content to have the time and energy to prevent any of the plates wobbling and falling off!